Pages

Saturday 8 March 2014

Sky F1 Paint - sorry, Media - Day 2014

"Ahhhhh, that's gone down my neck” squeals Simon Lazenby as David Croft and Johnny Herbert appears from nowhere and ambush him with a copious amount of red paint as the Sky Sports F1 anchor is knelt down composing a masterpiece for the camera.

 Croft is covered from head to toe in black and green paint like a member of an army on a secret mission with bad camouflage, and Herbert has bright red paint and a purposeful look on his face.

“Annnnnnnd that went right down my back and into my pants!" Lazenby shrieks as everyone struggles to contain themselves from pointing at the poor bloke.




He stands up and strides over to us; Damon Hill is giggling like a schoolboy, and Croft is rather pleased with his shot. “I’ve got to go to John Lewis after this to go and pick up some baby things!” Lazenby adds as laughter erupts in studio seven, himself laughing a little too. Croft quickly retorts with something about Simon not being sensible enough to be a dad and the shoot continues.

Let me rewind a little. The boiling hot (and paint-covered) studio seven was the location for this year’s Sky Sports F1 Media Day, a far cry from last year’s event at the Royal Automobile Club in London; in with the paint and out with the suits. On Monday evening at Natalie Pinkham’s Mirela documentary screening, Alison, Sky Sports’ PR said that we’d need to bring a change of clothes and said that we may get paint on ourselves. I took this with a pinch of salt, assuming that Alison was trying to wind me up or had a lot to drink.

Anyway, I arrived nice and early at the visitor entrance (after being directed to the F1 building and then directed back by the world’s worst security guard) at Sky, signed in and waited for Alison to appear to give some kind of indication about what we would be doing.

During the wait we were each given our very Ted’s Notebook, which was nice touch, and something that I’ll cherish.

Soon enough Alison arrived and whisked us away. ('Us' being myself, my good friend Jack Leslie, Luke from Richland F1 / NBC, Sarah from Pitstop Radio (that’s how she introduced herself to the lady at the desk!), Craig and Joe from Badger GP and a couple of others, including the chap from The Sun who always seems to butt into my questions during the group phone-call interviews) to the studio where the team were filming. If you like your Sky trivia, we were in the Cricket AM studio.

“Hello bloggers!” Crofty shouts over to us as we all file in like nervous children on a school-trip, and tucked away in a corner away from enough from the madness. Soon enough a few of the team came over to say hello and we were told to drink lots of water (did I mention it was hot in there?) and watch the chaos unfold.

 They’re all dressed from head to toe in paint overalls, and Martin Brundle genuinely looked like someone you’d expect to see on an episode of Cowboy Builders. Surreal is not the word.


So, why exactly were the presenters lobbing paint at each other and why was I invited along? The team were filming their opening for the Australian Grand Prix which consisted of them painting a few words on the wall (or in Simon’s case spending forty minutes trying to draw the Mona Lisa) and doing a few things to the camera, talking about the words behind them.
 
It was a fantastic insight into how features are filmed and a good look into a studio at the same time. When I went to New York in 2012, I had a look around NBC’s studios but didn’t watch any filming, and ditto when I toured the BBC studios last year.  Before Thursday, I didn’t realise how long it takes to film what will become a five minute long feature at most, and it showed me how hard television companies work.

I also discovered that it takes many takes to get the right shot (and words in the right order),  more so if you’re Johnny Herbert and you’re being distracted by David Croft. Johnny simply had to say three words in the right order and it took him five times to get it right, with Simon getting the rollicking from the producer, Ollie, instead of Crofty to boot.

You can probably tell that the team were relaxed; last year there was a bit of banter, but this year I saw why the team get on so well. There was an awful lot of camaraderie between them - which thankfully distracted Crofty enough not to mock me, for once. I’ll never forget David Croft being photographed by Damon Hill on his mobile phone for one; Croft asking how he got to be photographed by a Formula One World Champion while being covered in paint, was a classic line from the commentator.

Thanks in part to it being a lot more relaxed this year and also this being my second Sky F1 Media Day, it was a lot easier to get to talk and catch up with the presenters on an individual basis; at one point I looking over Anthony Davidson’s shoulder at a video from a recent Toyota test session, and it was also lovely to talk to Natalie once again – who seems to be fired up for the season ahead, and just as smiley as ever, even when covered in paint.

All in all, it was great fun to be invited behind-the-scenes. I’m looking forward to seeing the final feature when it airs; to see which bits makes the cut, and which doesn’t, and to try and spot myself in the background of shots – although knowing my luck I’ll either be (a) looking away from the camera, (b) looking grumpy or (c) drinking the provided water!

Thanks again to Alison for invite – I’m not sure how you’re going to top this next year?!

Sky Sports F1 is the only place to watch all 19 Grands Prix weekends live on TV, Sky Go and Now TV
.



Pictures 1, 2 and 4 © Ben Radford. Picture three is used with kind permission from Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment